Home > Faculties >

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you require general information about your course of study during your ERASMUS stay in Heidelberg?

The International Relations Division offers comprehensive information about ERASMUS-stays in both German, at https://www.uni-heidelberg.de/international/erasmus/incoming/ and English, at https://www.uni-heidelberg.de/international/erasmus/incoming/index_en.html

If you have questions about life in Heidelberg, living & accommodation, food & drink, culture & events, or sports & leisure, you can find further information at: https://www.uni-heidelberg.de/universitaet/leben/

Who shall I ask if I have additional organisational questions? (About, for example: language courses, accommodation services, matriculation, orientation week)?

Address any such questions to the International Relations Division using the following e-mail address:  incoming-erasmus@zuv.uni-heidelberg.deE-Mail.

Are you looking for an overview of the courses offered at the Faculty of Law or for a specific course?

To choose your courses you can access the Course Catalogue of the Faculty of Law of the University of HeidelbergExterner Inhalt.

You can also contact the ERASMUS coordinator at your home university, who will hold a copy of the annotated course catalogue of the Faculty of Law of the University of Heidelberg. You can obtain a copy of the annotated course catalogue from the foyer of the Law Faculty approximately two weeks before the lecture period begins.

What language will the courses be held in?

Courses are largely held in German. Courses that are held in a different language can be found here: http://www.jura.uni-heidelberg.de/international/erasmus/incoming/.  

How can I sit an examination for a course in the Faculty of Law?

Towards the end of the lecture period, it is possible to sit an examination in any of the courses, which are open to ERMASMUS students. After you have decided to register for a course, go directly to the relevant professor or lecturer and personally arrange with him or her, how, and when, you will be examined.  Please also take note of the deadlines for registration and the registration lists handed out in the lecture!

Please ensure that you receive certificates/examination certificates directly from your lecturer. If you are no longer present in Heidelberg when these are issued, you may leave a franked envelope, addressed to your home, at the secretary’s office; certificates will then be forwarded on to you.

In the case that you require your certificate immediately after the lecture period has ended, as, for example, you require them to apply for a Master’s degree programme, please go to the relevant lecturer and personally inform him or her of this requirement in plenty of time.

As an ERASMUS student, which documents do I need in order to complete a course of study in the Faculty of Law?

Learning Agreement

In the Learning Agreement, students agree on their programme of study for their stay at the University of Heidelberg with their home university and the departmental coordinators at the University of Heidelberg.

You can arrange your own programme of study according to the requirements of your home university. You are essentially able to attend all courses offered at the Faculty of Law (exception: practical preparation courses). Please note that you are only able to participate in a seminar if you have registered in advance. Simple certificates of attendance are generally not awarded, you can, however, receive ECTS Credits. Please be aware that you will not receive ECTS credits in every course, nor are you able to sit an examination in every course (for example in study groups, colloquiums).

Please also note that you are able to attend courses in other faculties of the University of Heidelberg, as well as seminars in the Faculty of Law at the University of Mannheim.

The number of ECTS Credits awarded depends on the type of course attended and the number of hours throughout the semester. You can find more information at:

During the first two weeks of lectures, we advise you to attend all courses which you are considering taking, before then reaching a final decision about which courses you will continue to attend.

As soon as you have filled out your Learning Agreement, you can bring it to an ERASMUS consultation hour where it will be checked and signed. Regardless of the consultation hours, you can also place your Learning Agreement, at any time, in the “Eingang” (Incoming) box in Room 5 (ground floor) of the Institute, Augustinergasse 9, and collect it after it has been processed (generally the following week).

Transcript of Records

If you require a Transcript of Records for your home university, fill in the form with which you have been provided or the form available hereAdobe, in full. Once you have collected all of your certificates, bring your Transcript of Records, along with the certificates, in person to a consultation hour, http://www.jura.uni-heidelberg.de/international/erasmus/kontakt.html. Alternatively, place the completed Transcript of Records and copies of all certificates in the “Eingang” (Incoming) box in room 5 or send us the fully completed Transcript of Records with a copy of all certificates, providing your home address, to be processed at a later date.

Institut für Ausländisches und Internationales Privat- und Wirtschaftsrecht
Augustinergasse 9
69117 Heidelberg
E-mail: erasmus@ipr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fax: 0049 6221 54 22 01

After it has been processed, we will place your Transcript of Records in the, “AUSGANG” (Outgoing) box, or we will send it back to you.

If you have not yet received all of your certificates, but already require your Transcript of Records, we can provide you with a Transcript of Records before the end of the lecture period with a note next to the relevant subject, “noch ohne Vorlage des Leistungsnachweises/yet without examination certificate”.

Please note that in the first few weeks of the lecture-free period, consultation hours are held at their regular times. Restricted consultation times otherwise apply during the free period. 

Additional Documents

Should you need additional documents to be signed, you can also bring these to an ERASMUS consultation hour. Regardless of the consultation hours, you can place the document with the relevant proof (copies) in the, “EINGANG” (Incoming) box, in room 5 (ground floor) of the Institute, Augustinergasse 9, at any time. You can collect the document after it has been processed, in the following week. In exceptional circumstances, documents can also be sent by e-mail.

Would you like to carry out PhD research at the Faculty of Law as part of the ERAMSUS programme?

If you are a PhD student wishing to come to Heidelberg, you require confirmation of supervision from a professor in the Faculty of Law at the University of Heidelberg for the duration of your ERASMUS stay. Supervision generally consists of a meeting to discuss your research plan at the beginning, and at the end, of your stay.

You will find more information about the research interests of each professor on the Faculty of Law website. Please contact a professor directly by e-mail to ask whether he or she is able to provide supervision. Include information about your research plan, the duration and dates of your stay in this e-mail and request a short meeting at the beginning, and at the end, of your stay. You should then forward the received confirmation of supervision, along with documentation confirming your university’s agreement to your ERASMUS stay, to: erasmus@ipr.uni-heidelberg.deE-Mail.

Who shall I ask if I have additional, technical questions?

ERASMUS consultation hours are held twice a week during the lecture-free period. Times and further details can be found on the notices and information provided on the “Contact” page of the ERASMUS website available at:

If you have any additional questions, you may also contact us via the following e-mail address: erasmus@ipr.uni-heidelberg.deE-Mail.

Responsible: Erasmus-Team
Latest Revision: 2020-12-09
zum Seitenanfang/up